Friday 8 March 2013

Glen Hansard, Too Good to Exclude

In 2006 the movie Once was released. This Irish drama was directed and written by John Carney and starred singers Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Not only did Hansard and Irglova star in the film, they also wrote and sang all of the original songs. At the Academy Awards that year, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won the award for Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly".

 

Both singers are not of Irish descent. Marketa Irglova was born and Raised in the Czech Republic. However, Glen Hansard  was born in Dublin, Ireland. Although that does mean that he was born in the Republic of Ireland (which is not part of the UK) I have to stretch the rules a bit for this incomparable singer.

I will admit that I am very late to the party with this singer. I first heard him on a television show (I know, it's disappointing for me too) but right away fell in love. When I started listening to his older songs and learning his back story I was more than impressed. 

It's easy to say it's his voice that makes me love him or his lyrics but, my love for Glen Hansard goes much deeper than all that. The power and raw emotions that he puts into his songs makes me feel it deep inside. Glen Hansard leaves everything he has in himself in his songs. He doesn't hide any of himself away. And, because of that, anyone who listens to his songs can't help but be moved by them.

So, why should you listen to Glen Hansard? Because there are very few musicians out there that can sing with the same passion, power, focus and openness as he does. There's a reason why the Oscars gave an unknown Irish singer (unknown to the North American charts) an award. He is everything a musician should be and so much more.

 
 *Bird of Sorrow from the album Rhythm and Repose
 

8 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be taking a listen. Thanks Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Falling Slowly" - great boy/girl combo. Those are often the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting read, thanks Kayla! I will definitely be checking out some more of your recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tune :) I love the UK music scene as well, I get so sick of listening to the same "top 40" songs in Canada that I do my music browsing on the UK itunes store or I listen to BBC Radio. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this artist before, but I'll definitely be checking out more of his songs! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the awesome music recommendations! I always appreciate new music :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always want to know more about bands and singers. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete