Friday 8 February 2013

An Act the Critics Love

With the current New York Times Review of Passenger (4/5), I can finally talk about this amazing musician. Passenger is my favourite act to come out of England in the last couple years. However,
he hasn’t been able to gain the traction he really deserves, until now.

Passenger originally started as a UK band in 2003. However, in 2009 the band split up and singer, Mike Rosenberg, continued on with the name for his own solo career. Brighton raised, Rosenberg spent a lot of time establishing himself as a serious folk/rock musician. Even as he sells out small venues around Europe, Australia, and North America (he had his first couple headline shows at the end of 2012), he continues to busk everywhere he goes.

 For Mike, it really is all about the music. You can hear his love and passion in his songs. But, you can truly hear and see it at his live shows. Often the venue is so quiet you could hear a pin drop as the audience becomes emerged in the music


Passenger also loves to collaborate with others. This only continues to strengthen his music. His 2010 release Flight of the Crow was completely duet work. For an artist that has only put out three albums, that’s a rarity.

When critics love an act, you know you need to see it for yourself (since they so rarely love anything). And be sure to watch some of his collaboration videos.



6 comments:

  1. Didn't he open for Ed Sheeran the last time he came through? Such a good combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he did. Passenger and Ed are very good friends and have played together lots of times. This is how many people learned about Passenger, which is never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm checking out this artist as we speak and so far I like what I hear. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is VERY nice music! Raw and folkie, I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before reading this blog I had never heard of this artist before but I like what I hear! I will definitely be checking out more of his music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't listened to many artists from the UK but I love this one! Thanks for the great music.

    ReplyDelete