Friday 1 February 2013

Sometimes you Need a Woman

I tend to have a love for male artists more than female (I honestly don’t know why but I have always gravitated to them). However, my love for this next band makes up for my male dominated, musical obsession. 

Daughter (the London based, female led, trio) is so incredible that I have to listen to at least one of their songs a day just to get my ‘fix’. Lead singer, Elena Tonra, originally started Daughter as a solo project but quickly discovered it was better with Igor Haefeli and Remi Aguilella. Although both men (Igor and Remi) add a great deal to Daughter musically, Elena is still the heart and soul of the band. The best part about Daughter is Elena’s unique and breath-taking vocals. With beautifully poetic lyrics (which come a close second to Elena’s voice), daughter is a band that cannot be ignored.  
To read more from Elena herself click here. (NWS)

I could have linked any of the 4 songs from Daughter’s first and only EP The Wild Youth into this post. I could have used Medicine to show the soft side of the band. Or I could have gone with Love to showcase how the band isn’t scared to experiment a bit with their sound. But no song encompasses everything that Daughter has to offer better than Youth. So, here’s a live version of Youth (because Daughter really does need to be heard live). 



 To read more from Elena herself click here. (NWS)

2 comments:

  1. This song appeared on BIRP!'s November '11 Indie Playlist :) It's a good one! I love female vocalists, even over male, so this is a great recommendation! I will check out the band's other stuff. I wasn't so inclined until now

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite bands! Good choice in song. This whole album is great.

    ReplyDelete